Democratic People's Republic of Korea #1066 (1972)

Democratic People’s Republic of Korea #1066 (1972)

The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (조선민주주의인민공화국 — Chosŏn Minjujuŭi Inmin), or North Korea, occupies the northern portion of the Korean Peninsula, lying between latitudes 37° and 43°N, and longitudes 124° and 131°E. It covers an area of 46,541 square miles (120,540 square kilometers). North Korea shares land borders with China and Russia along the Amnok (known as the Yalu in China) and Tumen rivers to … Continue reading Democratic People’s Republic of Korea #1066 (1972)

Kenya #601 (1994)

Kenya #601 (1994)

The Republic of Kenya (Jamhuri ya Kenya in Kiswahili) is a country in Africa and a founding member of the East African Community (EAC). Its capital and largest city is Nairobi. Kenya’s territory lies on the equator and overlies the East African Rift covering a diverse and expansive terrain that extends roughly from Lake Victoria to Lake Turkana (formerly called Lake Rudolf) and further south-east to … Continue reading Kenya #601 (1994)

Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania #105 (1958)

Kenya, Uganda, Tanganyika #105 (1958)

The region of British East Africa has quite a complicated postal history with stamps of the area receiving numerous identifying inscriptions since their first release in May 1890, bearing the name of a company —  British East Africa Company — instead of a place name. Stamps released in October of that year saw the inscription changed to Imperial British East Africa Company; these were overprinted British East Africa in July 1895 … Continue reading Kenya, Uganda, Tanganyika #105 (1958)

Kedah #5 (1919)

Kedah #5 (1919)

Kedah (قدح) also known by its honorific, Darul Aman (دار الامن), or “Abode of Peace” is a state of Malaysia, located in the northwestern part of Peninsular Malaysia. The state covers a total area of 3,640 square miles (9,427 km²), and it consists of the mainland and Langkawi. The mainland has a relatively flat terrain, which is used to grow rice. Langkawi is an archipelago … Continue reading Kedah #5 (1919)

Herm Island B&F #75 (1961)

Herm Island is one of the Channel Islands and part of the Parish of St. Peter Port in the Bailiwick of Guernsey. It is located in the English Channel, north-west of France and south of England and is 1.5 miles (2.4 kilometers) long and under 0.5 miles (0.80 km) wide; orientated north-south, with several stretches of sand along its northern coast. The much larger island of … Continue reading Herm Island B&F #75 (1961)

Isle of Jethou B&F #10 (1961)

Isle of Jethou B&F #10 (1961)

The Isle of Jethou lies somewhat centrally in the Channel Islands three miles east of Guernsey and 500 yards south of Herm Island. Unlike the largely autonomous islands of Sark and Alderney within the Bailiwick, Jethou is administered entirely by the States of Guernsey, and elects members to the States of Deliberation as part of the St. Peter Port South electoral district. The island of Jethou … Continue reading Isle of Jethou B&F #10 (1961)

Kathiri State of Seiyun #13 (1946)

Kathiri State of Seiyun #13 (1946)

The Kathiri State of Seiyun in Hadhramaut (السلطنة الكثيرية – سيؤن – حضرموت‎‎ — al-Salṭanah al-Kathīrīyah Sayʾūn  Ḥaḍramawt) was a sultanate in the Hadhramaut region of the southern Arabian Peninsula, in what is now part of Yemen and the Dhofar region of Oman. From 1940, Kathiri was administered as part of the Eastern Protectorate of the Aden Protectorate (محمية عدن‎‎ — Maḥmiyyat ‘Adan), a British protectorate … Continue reading Kathiri State of Seiyun #13 (1946)

Jersey Under German Occupation #N8 (1943)

Jersey Under German Occupation #N8 (1943)

On June 30, 1940, the Nazi German armed forces (Wehrmacht) invaded Jersey and the other Channel Islands, starting a five-year occupation that wouldn’t end until May 9, 1945. The Channel Islands were the only part of the British Isles to be occupied by the Germans during World War II. Anticipating a swift victory over Britain, the occupiers experimented by using a very gentle approach that set the … Continue reading Jersey Under German Occupation #N8 (1943)