The Turks and Caicos Islands, or TCI for short, are a British Overseas Territory consisting of the larger Caicos Islands and smaller Turks Islands, two groups of tropical islands in the Lucayan Archipelago of the North Atlantic Ocean and northern West Indies. The islands lie northwest of Puerto Rico, north of Hispaniola, and about 620 miles (1,000 kilometers) from Miami in the United States, at 21°45′N 71°35′WCoordinates: 21°45′N 71°35′W. The territory is geographically contiguous to the Bahamas, both comprising the Lucayan Archipelago, but is politically a separate entity. The Caicos Islands are separated by the Caicos Passage from the closest Bahamian islands, Mayaguana and Great Inagua. They are known primarily for tourism and as an offshore financial center. The resident population is 31,458 as of 2012 of whom 23,769 live on Providenciales in the Caicos Islands.
The eight main islands and more than 300 smaller islands have a total land area of 238 square miles (616.3 km²) consisting primarily of low, flat limestone with extensive marshes and mangrove swamps and 128 square miles (332 km²) of beachfront. The weather is usually sunny — it is generally regarded that the islands receive 350 days of sun each year — and relatively dry, but suffers frequent hurricanes. The islands have limited natural fresh water resources; private cisterns collect rainwater for drinking. The primary natural resources are spiny lobster, conch, and other shellfish.
The Turks Islands are separated from the Caicos Islands by Turks Island Passage, which is more than 7,200 feet or 2,200 meters deep, The islands form a chain that stretches north–south. The 2012 Census population was 4,939 on the two main islands with the only inhabited islands of the group being Grand Turk with the capital of the territory with an area of 6.71 square miles (17.39 km²) and a population of 4,831; and Salt Cay with an area of 2.6 square miles (6.74 km²) and population of 108. Together with nearby islands, all on Turks Bank, those two main islands form two of the six administrative districts of the territory that fall within the Turks Islands. Turks Bank, which is smaller than Caicos Bank, has a total area of about 125 square miles (324 km²).
Sixteen miles (25 km) east of the Turks Islands and separated from them by Mouchoir Passage is the Mouchoir Bank. Although it has no emergent cays or islets, some parts are very shallow and the water breaks on them. Mouchoir Bank is part of the Turks and Caicos Islands and falls within its Exclusive Economic Zone. It measures 370 square miles (960 km²) in area. Two banks further east, Silver Bank and Navidad Bank, are geographically a continuation, but belong politically to the Dominican Republic.
The largest island in the Caicos archipelago is the sparsely-inhabited Middle Caicos, which measures 56 square miles (144 km²) in area, but had a population of only 168 at the 2012 Census. The most populated island is Providenciales, with 23,769 inhabitants in 2012, and an area of 47 square miles (122 km²). North Caicos at 45 square miles (116km²) in area had 1,312 inhabitants. South Caicos with an area of 8.1 square miles (21 km²) had 1,139 inhabitants, and Parrot Cay at 2.3 square miles (6 km²) in area had 131 inhabitants. East Caicos (which is administered as part of South Caicos District) is uninhabited, while the only permanent inhabitants of West Caicos (administered as part of Providenciales District) are resort staff.
The Turks and Caicos Islands lie southeast of Mayaguana in the Bahamas island chain and north of the island of Hispaniola (Haiti and the Dominican Republic) and the other Antilles archipelago islands. Cockburn Town, the capital since 1766, is situated on Grand Turk Island about 647 miles (1,042 km) east-southeast of Miami, Florida.
The first recorded European sighting of the islands now known as the Turks and Caicos occurred in 1512. In the subsequent centuries, the islands were claimed by several European powers with the British Empire eventually gaining control. For many years, the islands were governed indirectly through Bermuda, the Bahamas, and Jamaica. When the Bahamas gained independence in 1973, the islands received their own governor, and have remained a separate autonomous British Overseas Territory since. In August 2009, the United Kingdom suspended the Turks and Caicos Islands’ self-government following allegations of ministerial corruption. Home rule was restored in the islands after the November 2012 elections.
The Turks and Caicos Islands are named after the Turk’s cap cactus (Melocactus intortus), and the Lucayan term caya hico, meaning ‘string of islands’.
The first inhabitants of the Turks and Caicos Islands were Arawakan-speaking Taíno people, who migrated from the island of Hispaniola (Dominican Republic and Haiti) around AD 700. Together with Taino who migrated from Cuba to the southern Bahamas around the same time, these people developed as the Lucayan. After approximately 300 years, pottery styles suggest that these local inhabitants of the islands established a unique culture. Around 1200, the Turks and Caicos Islands were resettled by Classical Taínos from Hispaniola. The people inhabiting the islands in the Bahamian archipelago up to the period of contact are known as Lucayans.
How the islands gained their name is unknown. One reference states that the islands were named after Ottoman-era pirates and was named Turks and caicos relating to the Spanish term for cays or keys. Some refer to the presence of cacti with what appeared to them to be red fez-like structures on their tops, but this not likely to be true, since the fez was unknown to Ottoman Empire before 1826.
The first European to sight the islands was Spanish conquistador Juan Ponce de León, who did so in 1512. Soon after the Spanish arrived in the islands, they began capturing the Taíno of the Turks and Caicos Islands and the Lucayan as slaves (technically, as workers in the encomienda system) to replace the largely depleted native population of Hispaniola. Only a year after first being discovered, the entire archipelago including the southern Bahama Islands and the Turks and Caicos Islands were completely depopulated and remained so until the 17th century.
During the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, the islands passed from Spanish, to French, to English (subsequently British) control, but none of the three powers ever established any settlements.
From about 1690 to 1720, pirates hid in the cays of the Turks and Caicos Islands, attacking Spanish treasure galleons en route to Spain from Cuba, Hispaniola, and the Spanish possessions in Central America and Peru. The islands were not fully colonized until 1681, when salt collectors from Bermuda built the first permanent settlement on Grand Turk Island.
The salt collectors were drawn by the shallow waters around the islands that made salt mining a much easier process than in Bermuda. They occupied the Turks only seasonally, for six months a year, however, returning to Bermuda when it was no longer viable to rake salt. Their colonization established the British dominance of the archipelago that has lasted into the present day. Huge numbers of trees were felled by the Bermudians to discourage rainfall that would adversely affect the salt mining operation. This deforestation has yet to be repaired. Most of the salt mined in the Turks and Caicos Islands was sold through Bermudian merchant houses on the American seaboard, including in Newfoundland where it was used for preserving cod.
Bermuda spent much of the 18th century in a protracted legal battle with the Bahamas — which had itself been colonized by Bermudian Puritans in 1647 — over the Turks Islands. Under British law, no colony could hold colonies of its own. The Turks Islands were not recognized by Britain either as a colony in its own right, or as a part of Bermuda. They were held to be, like rivers in Britain, for the common use. As a result, there was a great deal of political turmoil surrounding the ownership of the Turks (and Caicos.
Spanish and French forces seized the Turks in 1706, but Bermudian forces expelled them four years later in what was probably Bermuda’s only independent military operation. The Bermudian privateer, the Rose, under the command of Captain Lewis Middleton, attacked a Spanish and a French privateer holding a captive English vessel. Defeating the two enemy vessels, the Rose then cleared out the thirty-man garrison left by the Spanish and French.
A virtual state-of-war existed between Bermuda and the Bahamas through much of the 18th century. When the Bermudian sloop Seaflower was seized by the Bahamians in 1701, the response of Bermuda Governor Bennett was to issue letters-of-marque to Bermudians vessels. The legal struggle with the Bahamas began in 1766, when the King’s representative in the Bahamas, Andrew Symmer, on his own authority, wrote a constitution which legislated for and taxed the Bermudians on the Turks. The Secretary of State, Lord Hillsborough, for the Crown, issued orders that the Bermudian activities on the Turks should not be obstructed or restrained in any way. As a result of this order, Symmer’s constitution was dissolved. The Bermudians on the Turks appointed commissioners to govern themselves, with the assent of the King’s local agent. They drew up regulations for good government, but the Bahamian governor Shirley drew up his own regulations for the Turks and ordered that no one might work at salt raking who had not signed assent to his regulations.
Following this, a raker was arrested and the salt pans were seized and divided by force. The Bahamas government attempted to appoint judicial authorities for the Turks in 1768, but these were refused by the Bermudians. In 1773, the Bahamian government passed an act attempting to tax the salt produced in the Turks, but the Bermudians refused to pay it. In 1774, the Bahamians passed another, similar act, and this they submitted for the Crown’s assent. The Crown passed this act on to the Bermudian government which objected to it, and which rejected Bahamian jurisdiction over the Turks. The Crown, as a consequence, refused assent of the Act as applied to include the Turks, and, in the form in which it finally passed, the Bahamas, but not the Turks, were included.
From 1765–1783, the islands were under French occupation, and again after the French captured the archipelago in 1783. After the American War of Independence (1775–1783), many Loyalists fled to British Caribbean colonies; in 1783, they were the first settlers on the Caicos Islands. They developed cotton as an important cash crop, but it was superseded by the development of the salt industry. In 1799, both the Turks and the Caicos island groups were annexed by Britain as part of the Bahamas. The processing of sea salt was developed as a highly important export product from the West Indies, with the labor done by African slaves. Salt continued to be a major export product into the nineteenth century.
The agricultural industry sprung up in the islands in the late 1780s after 40 Loyalists arrived, primarily from Georgia and South Carolina. Granted large tracts of land by the British government to make up for what they lost in the American colonies, the Loyalists imported well over a thousand slaves and planted vast fields of sisal.
Though in the short term highly successful, the cotton industry quickly went into decline, with hurricanes and pests destroying many crops. Though a few of the former cotton magnates changed to salt mining, just about every one of the original Loyalists had left the islands by 1820, leaving their slaves to live a subsistence lifestyle through fishing and hunter-gathering.
The Bermudians on the Turks continued to be governed under their own regulations, with the assent of the royal agent, until 1780, when a more formal version of those regulations was submitted for the assent of the Crown, which was given. Those regulations, issued as a royal order, stated that all British subjects had the right (“free liberty”) to rake and gather salt on the Turks, providing that they conformed to the regulations, which expressly rejected Bahamian jurisdiction over the Turks. Despite this refutation by a higher authority of their right to impinge upon Bermudian activities on the Turks, the Bahamian government continued to harass the Bermudians (unsurprisingly, given the lucrativeness of the Turks salt trade).
Although the salt industry on the Turks had largely been a Bermudian preserve, it had been seen throughout the 17th century as the right of all British subjects to rake there, and small numbers of Bahamians had been involved. In 1783, the French landed a force on Grand Turk which a British force of 100 men, under then-Captain Horatio Nelson, was unable to dislodge.
Following this, the Bahamians were slow to return to the Turks, while the Bermudians quickly resumed salt production, sending sixty to seventy-five ships to the Turks each year, during the six months that salt could be raked. Nearly a thousand Bermudians spent part of the year on the Turks engaged in salt production, and the industry became more productive.
The Bahamas, meanwhile, was incurring considerable expense in absorbing loyalist refugees from the now-independent American colonies, and returned to the idea of taxing Turks salt for the needed funds. The Bahamian government ordered that all ships bound for the Turk Islands obtain a license at Nassau first. The Bermudians refused to do this. Following this, Bahamian authorities seized the Bermuda sloops Friendship and Fanny in 1786. Shortly after, three Bermudian vessels were seized at Grand Caicos, with $35,000 worth of goods salvaged from a French ship. French privateers were becoming a menace to Bermudian operations in the area, at the time, but the Bahamians were their primary concern.
The Bahamian government re-introduced a tax on salt from the Turks, annexed them to the Bahamas, and created a seat in the Bahamian parliament to represent them. The Bermudians refused these efforts also, but the continual pressure from the Bahamians had a degrative effect on the salt industry. In 1806, the Bermudian customs authorities went some way toward acknowledging the Bahamian annexation when it ceased to allow free exchange between the Turks and Bermuda (this affected many enslaved Bermudians, who, like the free ones, had occupied the Turks only seasonally, returning to their homes in Bermuda after the year’s raking had finished).
That same year, French privateers attacked the Turks, burning ships and absconding with a large sloop. The Bahamians refused to help, and the Admiralty in Jamaica claimed the Turks were beyond his jurisdiction.
In 1807, Britain prohibited the slave trade and, in 1833, abolished slavery in its colonies. British ships sometimes intercepted slave traders in the Caribbean, and some ships were wrecked off the coast of these islands. In 1837, the Esperanza, a Portuguese slaver, was wrecked off East Caicos, one of the larger islands. While the crew and 220 captive Africans survived the shipwreck, 18 Africans died before the survivors were taken to Nassau. Africans from this ship may have been among the 189 liberated Africans whom the British colonists settled in the Turks and Caicos from 1833 to 1840.
Two hurricanes, the first in August, 1813, the second in October, 1815, destroyed more than two-hundred buildings, significantly salt stores, and sank many vessels. By 1815, the United States, the primary client for Turks salt, had been at war with Britain (and hence Bermuda) for three years, and had established other sources of salt.
With the destruction wrought by the storms, and the loss of market, many Bermudians abandoned the Turks, and those remaining were so distraught that they welcomed the visit of the Bahamian governor in 1819. The British government eventually assigned political control to the Bahamas, which the Turks and Caicos remained a part of until the 1840s.
One Bermudian salt raker, Mary Prince, however, was to leave a scathing record of Bermuda’s activities there in The History of Mary Prince, a book which helped to propel the abolitionist cause to the 1834 emancipation of slaves throughout the Empire.
In 1841, the Trouvadore, an illegal Spanish slave ship, was wrecked off the coast of East Caicos. All the 20-man crew and 192 captive Africans survived the sinking. Officials freed the Africans and arranged for 168 persons to be apprenticed to island proprietors on Grand Turk Island for one year. They increased the small population of the colony by seven percent. Numerous descendants have come from those free Africans. The remaining 24 were resettled in Nassau. The Spanish crew were also taken there, to be turned over to the custody of the Cuban consul and taken to Cuba for prosecution. An 1878 letter documents the “Trouvadore Africans” and their descendants as constituting an essential part of the “labouring population” on the islands.
In 2004, marine archaeologists affiliated with the Turks and Caicos National Museum discovered a wreck, called the “Black Rock Ship”, that subsequent research has suggested may be that of the Trouvadore. In November 2008, a cooperative marine archaeology expedition, funded by the United States NOAA, confirmed that the wreck has artifacts whose style and date of manufacture link them to the Trouvadore.
The islands remained part of the Bahamas until 1848, when the inhabitants successfully petitioned to be made a separate colony governed by a council president under the supervision of the governor of Jamaica. This arrangement proved to be a financial burden, and in 1873 the Turks and Caicos Islands were annexed to Jamaica with a commissioner and a Legislative Board. In 1917, Canadian Prime Minister Robert Borden suggested that the Turks and Caicos join Canada, but this suggestion was rejected by British Prime Minister David Lloyd George.
The islands remained a dependency of Jamaica until 1959. On July 4, 1959, the islands were again designated as a separate colony, the last commissioner being restyled administrator. The governor of Jamaica also continued as the governor of the islands. When Jamaica was granted independence from Britain in August 1962, the Turks and Caicos Islands became a Crown colony. Beginning in 1965, the governor of the Bahamas also was governor of the Turks and Caicos Islands and oversaw affairs for the islands.
When the Bahamas gained independence in 1973, the islands received their own governor. In 1974, Canadian New Democratic Party MP Max Saltsman tried to use his Private Member’s Bill for legislation to annex the islands to Canada, but it did not pass in the Canadian House of Commons. Since August 1976, the islands have had their own government headed by a chief minister (now premier), the first of whom was James Alexander George Smith McCartney.
The salt industry, along with small sponge and hemp exports, sustained the Turks and Caicos Islands (only barely, however; there was little population growth and the economy stagnated) until in the 1960s American investors arrived on the islands and funded the construction of an airstrip on Provo Island and built the archipelago’s first hotel, The Third Turtle. A small trickle of tourists began to arrive, supplementing the salt economy. Club Med set up a resort at Grace Bay soon after. In the 1980s, Club Med funded an upgrading of the airstrip to allow for larger aircraft, and since then, tourism has been gradually on the increase. It is common for foreign couples to be married in the Turks and Caicos Islands today.
In 1980, the ruling pro-independence party, the People’s Democratic Movement (PDM), agreed with the British government that independence would be granted in 1982 if the PDM was reelected in the elections of that year. The PDM lost the elections to the Progressive National Party (PNP), which supported continued British rule. The PNP’s leader, Norman Saunders, became chief minister, and won the 1984 elections. However, in 1985 Saunders and two associates were convicted in the USA on drug charges.
The PNP emerged victorious from the following by-elections, but on July 24, 1986, the governor dissolved the government and replaced it with an advisory council after a report on allegations of arson and fraud found that the chief minister post-Saunders, Nathaniel Francis, along with four other PNP officials were unfit to rule.
Under the careful guidance of the governor and the advisory council, a new constitution of the Turks and Caicos Islands was created and elections held in 1988, with the PNP winning by a landslide, and Washington Misick becoming the new chief minister. Elections in the Turks and Caicos Islands were held on April 24, 2003, and again on February 9, 2007, with the PNP, led by Michael Misick, winning both.
The islands’ political troubles in the 2000s resulted in a rewritten constitution promulgated on August 9, 2006. In April 2006, Premier Misick reaffirmed that his party saw independence from Britain as the “ultimate goal” for the islands, but not at the present time. In 2008, after members of the British parliament conducting a routine review the administration received several reports of high-level official corruption in the Turks and Caicos, Governor Richard Tauwhare announced the appointment of a Commission of Enquiry into corruption. The same year, Premier Misick himself became the focus of the corruption investigation. He resigned under fire in March 2009. As a result, Governor Gordon Wetherell suspended the local government and the British took over direct rule which lasted from August 2009 until the general elections of November 2012 under a new (October 15, 2012) constitution.
In the 2012 elections, the PNP won by a small margin, with Rufus Ewing becoming Premier, and Sharlene Cartwright-Robinson of the People’s Democratic Movement (PDM) becoming the leader of the opposition. In the 2016 elections the PDM prevailed and Cartwright-Robinson became Premier.
A branch of the British Post Office opened on Grand Turk on December 11, 1854, replacing an earlier arrangement under which mail for the islands was sorted by local agents. The first stamps of the Turks Islands were issued on April 4, 1867 — 1 penny rose, 6 pence gray black and 1 shilling slate blue (Scott #1-3). The stamps were reissued numerous times, surcharged to create new values between ½ penny and 4 pence. The first stamps of the combined Turks and Caicos Islands were issued on November 10, 1900, recess printed by Thomas de la Rue & Company and featuring the colonial badge. Although not politically independent, the Caicos Islands issued its own overprinted stamps on July 24, 1981. These overprints were inspired by a stamp marketing company and initially they were not accepted. However, they were subsequently used for postage. Their full status is questionable.
Scott #33 , 1 shilling orange featuring the portrait of King George V, was engraved by de la Rue on paper watermarked with a multi-crown CA, perforated 14, and released on April 1, 1913.